HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SASSU!

April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month.

Today is SASSU's Birthday. Today, my baby is 3 years strong. 

It is almost unbelievable to think that I have come this far. It is almost as if my rape never happened. I say that because of this: There was a time when I did not think that I would live to see my organization launch April 10, 2011 so  April 10, 2013 was the furthest from my mind. It is almost as if I've had a bad dream and now I've awaken. Let me be clear, I am not trying to make anyone feel bad about still healing from their experience with rape, molestation or sexual violence. I am just speaking what holds true for me. Today, I am still healing but I am so much better than I was some years ago. I do still have triggers, I do have moments of sadness but those moments pass and I am okay again. 

Today, my baby is 3 years strong. When I initially launched SASSU, I had NO CLUE as to what I was getting myself into. I knew that I wanted to heal. I knew that I wanted to speak out about what happened to me and I knew I wanted to help others. I wanted to feel like I wasn't alone and I wanted people to know they are not alone. This has been a  journey of many tests and life lessons and I have thought many times about giving up but I am so proud to say that I didn't.

My Baby is 3 years STRONG. I DID IT!!!! And I am going to continue doing it! :-)

I don't have many words today. Just thoughts of gratitude. Today is a day of reflection for me.
 This was SASSU's guest book the day of the launch party. I wanted to do something different so I bought a construction paper book and people signed with color pencils.The launch party was held at Akira Clothing Store- One of my favorite stores in downtown Chicago.



Whatever you want to do, you can do it. You don't need a lot of money and you don't need a lot of people. All you need is desire and the willingness to stick things out no matter what. There are going to be people that doubt you. You are going to have days when you feel like giving up. You will question what the hell you've gotten yourself into but you will stay with it. You will continue moving forward. You will be great. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Incest:Protect Your Children by Patricia Singleton

Break the Silence

My Letter to you: Rape and Jokes- I Am Not Laughing