HEEEY SLUTS!!!!! :-)

MAN! It feels good to blog again. I've missed you guys! I hope you've missed me :-)

Over the next few weeks SASSU will be featuring some phenomenal guest bloggers so please stay tuned. I am really excited to see what they will be blogging about. Hope you are too!!!

Now, shall we get down to it?? WE SHALL.

June 4, 2011 was SLUT WALK CHICAGO. The event was held in downtown Chicago where men  and women gathered together and once again stood for something that was positive. Although I was not able to attend, you all know I was still kept abreast as to what went on in my absence.
Check out more info: http://www.slutwalkchicago.org/

Just to give you all some background information on how this, what I consider to be, a very monumental event came about:

On January 24, 2011 Constable Michael Sanguinetti and another officer from the Toronto's Police Service  Division were speakers at a York University safety forum. The school has had some problems with crime and the officers were meant to address prevention methods. Sanguinetti commented that "women should avoid dressing like sluts in order not to be victimized”. The officer later apologized for the remark. This comment was followed by another controversial incident in the Canadian justice system involving Justice Robert Dewar. On February 2011, while presiding over a rape case, Dewar remarked that on the evening of the alleged rape "sex was in the air" and the victim's behavior and attire may have given the attacker the wrong impression (she was wearing a tube and heels). He also mentioned that the victim was wearing makeup and had been drinking. The judge found the defendant guilty yet sentenced him to two years of probation. The judge also required that the defendant write the victim a letter of apology. The typical sentence for such a crime is usually at least three years in prison. However, since the judge felt that the defendant wasn't threatening - just “insensitive to the fact (she) was not a willing participant” - he will serve no jail time. This prompted an appeal of the sentence, a review of the judge's conduct by the Canadian Judicial Council, and massive public outcry.
The co-founders of the walk, Sonya Barnett and Heather Jarvis, decided to use the word slut in their demonstration because it is the same word that was used by Sanguinetti to describe the attire of rape victims.  The organization's website states "historically, the term ‘slut’ has carried a predominantly negative connotation. Aimed at those who are sexually promiscuous, be it for work or pleasure, it has primarily been women who have suffered under the burden of this label. And whether dished out as a serious indictment of one’s character or merely as a flippant insult, the intent behind the word is always to wound, so we’re taking it back. “Slut” is being re-appropriated." The organizers also write that women "are tired of being oppressed by slut-shaming; of being judged by our sexuality and feeling unsafe as a result. Being in charge of our sexual lives should not mean that we are opening ourselves to an expectation of violence, regardless if we participate in sex for pleasure or work. No one should equate enjoying sex with attracting sexual assault."

 More on how Slut Walk was started:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SlutWalk

Crazy huh?? I think so! It is amazing how we create and believe excuses for being disrespectful not only to women but to the human race as a whole. We have the freedom to say what we want to say, most definitely wear what we want to wear and to be who we REALLY are. The choice or way in which we decide to express ourselves,  the freedom to be who we want to be does not constitute nor justify a man or woman to rape anyone.


It's unfortunate that we already judge and base our opinions of one another by the color of our skin and the way we wear our hair. Now, you mean to tell me, I cant wear my cute summer dresses, jumpsuit and my mini dresses because IF I decide to BE WHO I AM, IF I DECIDE to EXPRESS my INDIVIDUALITY, I am in some way asking to be raped??? NOT!!!



So  I guess the night I was raped, I asked for it? I remember exactly what I wore. Grey leggings and the cutest grey, orange, blue and white floral baby doll shirt. I've always had a thing for floral prints. I also wore my silver sandals that tied up the leg...sounds cute doesn't it?? Guess I was asking for it.

Reality is that if someone wants to rape, if they have it in their head and in their hearts that this is what gets them off; by taking control of a sexual situation. Regardless of me walking down the street bare naked or fully, "appropriately" clothed, rapists will do what they do best...RAPE. It is a sickness people. So, what "society" deems to be appropriate wardrobe cannot and will not cure   And me changing my dress attire won't cure your ignorance.

Anyhow, to all of you who participated in Slut Walk CHICAGO, THANK YOU. Thank you for standing up and turning the word "slut" into something so positive and empowering. Thank you for not allowing what "society" says to dictate to you who you should be. Thank you for being YOU. Though I was not there in the physical to march throughout downtown Chicago with my poster, I was definitely there in spirit. I love you all, I honor you. Continue standing up for what you believe in.

I have found pictures on various websites from the event. Please feel free to browse through them. A lot of photographers took some really amazing pictures. I would post them if I could, but there are entirely TOO MANY pics. So, please feel free to click on the links below and enjoy browsing.  Have a great day everyone. Be BEAUTIFUL. BE YOU! :-)

What the NY Post had to say about Slut Walk across the globe:
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/slut_walk_feminist_folly_6wtwkoKdY0RgRtGfWTe47H

Photos:
http://www.michaelcourier.com/blog/2011/06/05/slut-walk-2011/

http://chicagoist.com/2011/06/06/slutwalk_chicago.php#photo-7

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mykellenicole/sets/72157626891162854/

http://bodywallet.net/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Incest:Protect Your Children by Patricia Singleton

Break the Silence

Self Love Before Making Love